Tuesday, January 24, 2012

PINTEREST MOTIVATION-I CAN DO THIS!

Photobucket
Pinterest has motivated so many people. The skirt above was on Pinterest and caught the attention of my daughter. She wanted to make this for her daughter who loves any long feminine skirt or dress.
The tutorial for this skirt on Pinterest is at Twirly Skirt Tutorial
My last visit to her house was the opportunity for her to try a new skill and sew her daughter the above skirt. When she was not sure about something I would give her advice and a few secrets I used when sewing.
Photobucket
She dug out her sewing machine that we had got her years ago and set up a place to sew.  She had cleaned an area in a storage area under her stairs so she could easily convert her home school area to a sewing area.
Photobucket
I showed her a way to mark where to start sewing and end where she would need to insert her elastic.
A tutorial on securing elastic without a "feels funny" that my kids use to say, check out CLOTHING TAGS & SECURE ELASTIC

Photobucket
My daughter pining the gathers on her daughters first skirt. Mom just had to take a picture.  I have one grand-daughter that loves to sew and now one of my daughters is sewing.  A sentimental moment for this mother.


Photobucket
This is the first skirt that she made. She did a great job and I never sewed a stitch for her.
Photobucket
Here is the second skirt that she made. This one is made with corduroy.  Her mother said that the last time I made her a long skirt, she tried to wear it everyday.  Now she has more skirts to wear, twirl, and feel like a feminine little girl. She looks just beautiful!  Of course I could be a little prejudice:)
I am so proud of my daughter for this accomplishment, now she can have the confidence to make other skirts. 
Now for the rest of you, check out pinterest and get a little motivation to say I CAN DO THIS!



5 comments:

Sisterbrenda said...

This is so cute.. She did a great job.. Do you know if they have this skirt for an adult? I would like to try to make one... Thanks for sharing.. I love pinterest..

nanasknoll said...

Sisterbrenda-Usually when you double the waist it puts a lot of weight on the waist. We thought this skirt was perfect.
You made the waist about 1 1/2 times the measured waist. Then you doubled the amount of material that went on the bottom of the waist piece.
example-top piece-if waist is 30" you would make the material 45"
The second piece would be doubled the waist amount 90". The third piece would be the same amount as it is not gathered. Hope this helps

nanasknoll said...

Sisterbrenda-I forgot to answer your question. Yes there is no reason it could not be made for adults or any age. I thought about it and I am going to be 62 yr. old.

Sisterbrenda said...

lol on your age I'm not far behind ya... I'm going to try to figure out how to make one for me.. thanks for getting back to me..

Barbara said...

Oh so precious she did such a good job, and I love the colors she choose too, it is rather youngish for me but I bet my granddaughter would love it, thank you sweet sister, and thank you for your encouraging words on my blog also, lots of love for your day and God bless you real good. ♥