Sunday, January 5, 2014

JEAN OVERHAUL FOR KIDS



One of my grand daughters wanted me to fix some jeans for her. I always enjoy finding ways to help in a frugal manner to increase the life of clothes. So just before Christmas I took her measurements.  I had intended to sew some other school clothes for her and my grand daughter in California.  They are only one year apart in age.  Unfortunately Children tend to share their viruses.  So I ended up sick and unable to sit at the sewing machine.  Therefore I decided to sew the patch by hand sitting in my easy chair.

It was quick and easy to use heat and bond to apply the patch. I ripped out the inseam enough to work comfortably with the patch.  It would be easy to resew the seam up when finished.
 Using embroidery thread I worked around the inside edge with a small stitch. I continued to stitch on the outside edge with one of the gold colors in the patch as well.  

Then using a color of the elephant and hippo I weaved between stitches that left a kind of zig-zag look.

Here is the finished product.  I will add some of the same material at the bottom edge of each pant leg to add a little length.  When I am finished I will try and post a picture of the finished jeans
It was actually fun and kept my mind off of feeling bad for at least a little while :) 

3 comments:

Living on Less Money Blog said...

Very, very cute! I never thought of using a different colored patch. I normally used another piece of jean from an old pair and zigzagged them. I really like your idea.

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

Love it ... Great Idea ... I need to patch my son's jeans & I think I'll have him select some fabric he likes from my stash and get started this evening.

Thanks for inspiring me.
Blessings,
Mrs.B

nanasknoll said...

Thanks girls, my grand daughter really liked the jeans. I do not have pictures of her with them on because of having cold. It will be this week and next before I see them. Hopefully my oldest grand daughter will send me a picture.
Nana