Friday, March 11, 2011

SMOKING JUNIPER



FIRST OFF I want to say our prayers are going out for the people in Japan and for any others that will be affected by the Tsunami that will hit there shores.


1Ki 19:4  But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers. 
1Ki 19:5  And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat. 


I am not so sure Elijah would have wanted to be under a juniper tree in Arizona today.
  The Lord's creation of the juniper tree had a function that was to be mentioned and used in the Bible.  The juniper has a strong scent similar to a pine tree.  After a rain is smells wonderful here.  
In the high dessert, where I live, there is a once a year occurance that takes place with our juniper trees and bushes.  It is quite a site to see! 
Today I saw what I thought was smoke drifting.  Usually it is the starting of the the wood stoves in this area.  After doing the dishes it seemed to be worse and the wind was blowing a little, so it was unusual for smoke to be in the area with the wind.


This catches me off guard every year, even though I know it is about time.  My first clue is that the juniper start to get this brownish cast, almost as if they are dieing.


Then I see it.  The juniper exploding with what looks like smoke.  It is the ripe pollen from the juniper,being blown off.
As you can see there is a haze of pollen in the air.  There are juniper everywhere in this area, so the air is full of it. The Hill side  is covered with juniper, if you look in the picture.
Today will have the most in the air.  Every window is closed in the house.  It is suppose to get in the 70's today.  So I will have the fans going in the house to stay cool and keep as much of the pollen out as I can.
I am praying for the wind to continue to blow it out of the area.  So many people become allergic to Juniper after living here 6-7 years.  They go and get allergy shots.  Last year was the first year I noticed a reaction and I had lived here 7 years.  
Every location has some form of pollen.  I have lived in several locations and seen pollen lay on things, but this is the first place I have actually seen pollen burst off the bushes like this.  
I wonder if Elijah would have had allergies in that day and age.  In any case when you live in the high dessert you are happy to have the juniper trees to stand under for shade and rest.  The Lord created the juniper so that Elijah and myself could have a place to rest from the summer sun.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Nana..what a great post! I like it a lot! :o) Thanks for sharing about the juniper tree.

xo
Donna