Thursday, April 20, 2017

PIGS, CHICKENS, AND GARDEN



Hi everyone
It has been awhile since I posted a page. Been busy working on what most people call a homestead. The name of the homestead is called Moonrise Farms. That is what is on a rock sign out in front.
You do see a lot of neat moon rises and sunrises on this farm.

Dear Hubby and I have been working on things here. I have been weeding some of the large garden that had onions, asparagus and rhubarb that has volunteered. We thought they were all dead but with watering they have come up. We are going to let most of this go to seed so we can have the seed. We will not be able to use the large garden until we can repair the fencing as the cotton tail rabbits, and jack rabbits are able to get in.

The start of this week we painted the chicken pin. Dear Hubby cleaned it out and is going to replace the roost and also clean up the nests. I was so excited to paint it barn red. It will be so nice to have fresh farm eggs that have some taste to them.

Dear Hubby did the cleaning out of the chicken pen and will have to do some repairs in there.  We have to reattach the top chicken wire so the hawks and owls ext. can't get in also.

We have a goat barn (now tool and feed storage area) to paint and drying shed to paint red. I will enjoy looking at the red buildings. 

I am hoping to order chicks in May. Watching chickens is so much fun for me and I can see the chicken house and run from my craft sewing room.

We went and got piglets Saturday. They are settling into their new home. They are cute and fun to watch also. Unfortunately dear Hubby will have to clear out some salt bush before I can see them from the craft sew room.

I worked on weeding the onions yesterday in the green house area.  I went out early before breakfast as it has been getting hot in the afternoons. It was so nice to weed and listen to the birds early in the morning.

We enjoy seeing the results of our labor and keeping busy for two retired people.    Plus we hope to reap the benefits of it all in the fall.  Yummy fresh veggies, eggs, and our own meat.  Along with fresh air and a sense of accomplishment. 

 

No comments: